Table of Marathons

11 MCM (not for time) 11 Wineglass (950/1442)
10 MCM (not for time) 09 MCM (348/1076)
09 Washington's Birthday Marathon (22/44) 08 MC Historic Half (51/210)
07 Frederick Marathon (32/60) 06 MCM (394/1076)
05 MCM (547/1047)

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sunday: 28 Days Out

This wound up being a tough one. I started out with leaden legs. Despite this, I ran 21 miles. I would have run 24, but Denise had returned from the grocery store and the day was late. I did not want the long run to dominate the day entirely.

An interesting effect of training for a life time of marathons is that the athlete comes to perceive being tire or exhaustion as just something one works through and ignores. Today was a day like that. Jezz, I was tired, but being tired did not matter. So, I just did the miles.

People are often amazed upon hearing that I run 3 or 4 hours without a music device. Aside from the obvious safety issues of running alone with earplugs, I really have no need for the electronic crutches. Stepping out for a run is immersing oneself in the web of life. During my run this morning, I heard the pre-dawn cock crowing, robins stirring in their bowers as they awoke, the crickets in the wetlands in a symphony of humming, the prey squirrel screaming an alarm in a tree, probably at the sight of a prowling cat, and the predator hawk, screeching in the distance to signal its mate.

Finally, turning into the nortwest, the fall wind in my ears. It is a harbinger of the long, cold winter ahead.

I just have no need for earphones.

No comments:

Post a Comment