Table of Marathons

11 MCM (not for time) 11 Wineglass (950/1442)
10 MCM (not for time) 09 MCM (348/1076)
09 Washington's Birthday Marathon (22/44) 08 MC Historic Half (51/210)
07 Frederick Marathon (32/60) 06 MCM (394/1076)
05 MCM (547/1047)

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Self Test

Denise and I vacationed in Oregon two weeks ago. The necessities of traveling caused us both to miss our long Sunday runs. Today, we returned to them.

I bring Denise her coffee at 4:45 AM. Since she still dozes, I leave it by her bed stand and prepare for running.

I started my run at 5:20 AM. I ran from the time of bats to the time of birds. The bats are difficult to see in the predawn light. If one does not look for them, it is likely one will never notice them. Looking in the trees and focusing on the darkness ahead, one can divine the tiny black bodies darting in their nightlong insect chase. While a faint light begins to grow in the east, their numbers quickly dwindle to none. Passing west of the neighborhood commons, I look east to see two glowing bodies: the pale blue sky and the fog hanging over the cold, wet grass with its unearthly light. A robin flits low and so close as to almost pass through my legs. The large hawk I routinely hear on this side of the lake, and sometimes am lucky enough to see, screeches as it hunts its morning meal. Our suburb is just rural enough to allow for a rooster's call in the distance. I have run into the time of birds.

I run 12 miles alone on neighborhood roads. Completing these, Denise and I drive to Lake Artemesia for her eleven miles along the Anacostia river system trails and parks.

When I have not gone long in more than a couple of weeks, my self confidence erodes and I begin to question my ability to run long. Its not a good feeling when only seven weeks remain until the Marine Corps Marathon. Denise and I find ourselves running in nearly 80F weather as the run stretches into the morning. Her evolution as a runner has been truly amazing. Denise's self confidence in her ability to run into double digits and also do it in the heat has greatly increased her enjoyment of the sport and bled over into greater self confidence in her appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment