Table of Marathons

11 MCM (not for time) 11 Wineglass (950/1442)
10 MCM (not for time) 09 MCM (348/1076)
09 Washington's Birthday Marathon (22/44) 08 MC Historic Half (51/210)
07 Frederick Marathon (32/60) 06 MCM (394/1076)
05 MCM (547/1047)

Monday, November 9, 2009

11/9: Coach, Mentor

I am not knowledgeable enough to call myself Denise's running coach. I prefer the word mentor. I provide a mix of advice, encouragement, and companionship while she endeavors to assimilate a lifestyle that is still foreign to her background. A visit to her blood relatives is a strong reminder that nothing in her upbringing instilled a notion that fitness and health awareness are important parts of a well integrated life.

Denise has mild Morton's neuroma and is taking some time off from running. Last week, I did all my running on the treadmill in our gym in the basement. This provided the indirect incentive for her to come down, stretch, and do a bit of strength training. While I prefer to run outside in the early morning, the change to the treadmill was calculated to provide her with the companionship to do what was right for her, too.

We spent the mornings watching the BBC channel in the basement at 5:30 AM. Each marriage has its own dynamic.

No comments:

Post a Comment