Table of Marathons

11 MCM (not for time) 11 Wineglass (950/1442)
10 MCM (not for time) 09 MCM (348/1076)
09 Washington's Birthday Marathon (22/44) 08 MC Historic Half (51/210)
07 Frederick Marathon (32/60) 06 MCM (394/1076)
05 MCM (547/1047)

Monday, November 23, 2009

11/23 - Touch of the Past

My daughter took on base at the Naval Support Facility to work out with her. The 2.2 mile loop is a scenic run along St. Andrew Bay and through stands of Florida live oaks. I was gratified by being able to pass a few sailors a couple of decades my junior during my run.

The weight room is a throwback to my old Marine Corps days, a dozen or so dedicated, fit, young people in a no-frills weight room under paddle fans. There was no music. The chinning bars are popular. Chins and pull ups are one of those foundational exercises that provide maximum stimulation to most of the upper body. There is an appealing simplicity to hanging there till exhaustion, for all to see. I do two of these movements. The first is a wide grip palms forward pull up. Later, deeper into my workout as I tire, I do a narrow grip chin with supinated palms.

As a parent, being a role model never ends. At 55, I hope I am demonstrating to our 31 year old daughter what entering the last third can look like. As other members of her family on both sides of the marriage bond are well into their respective physical and mental declines, I like to think that her parents are demonstrating that an ending surge to the finish line is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment