Table of Marathons

11 MCM (not for time) 11 Wineglass (950/1442)
10 MCM (not for time) 09 MCM (348/1076)
09 Washington's Birthday Marathon (22/44) 08 MC Historic Half (51/210)
07 Frederick Marathon (32/60) 06 MCM (394/1076)
05 MCM (547/1047)

Monday, November 29, 2010

Strength

Strength training will make you a stronger, faster, more injury free runner. I do it for these reasons and for aesthetic ones. I also feel the imperative to continue to match the 20 plus pull up ability I had in the Marines.

To save time and focus on deep strength, most of my movements are compound. This involves a lot of heavy chins, pull ups, and rows. I've gripped the bar in the palm of my hand all my life, making for major calluses. Recently, I've taken to holding the bar by my fingers. It has lessened my ability to perform repetitions....temporarily, I  presume.

As a marathoner, my traps, shoulders, and arms are less tired during long runs because of my strength. I believe my leg strength makes me a faster runner and that my core strength protects me from injury.

Today, no running, only a barbell workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment